Owen's Changing Table

on Monday, November 14, 2011


Being the weirdo that I am, the first thing I thought of when Randy told me we were having a child was what I would build for his/her room.  Of course, the first piece that came to mind was a crib that could be hand-crafted by his/her old-man and it could be passed down from generation to generation. Yeah, right... assuming it doesn't get eaten by mice in the attic where it'll sit for 20 years between generations.  Even with this thought in-mind I was still open to the idea of building the type of crib that could be converted into a bed and used for many years.  I looked at several models and I was all set to make this dream a reality until we found a crib that we absolutely loved (it can't be converted into a full-size bed, so there is potential for still making a bed one day if I get the itch).  See the picture below of the crib we chose.  The best part, it was significantly cheaper than most cribs we were looking at.  With this option now a reality, I moved on to the other piece I would inevitably build, the changing table.

Owen's Crib (w/out Bedding) and Chair
 Again, I didn't want to make something that would only be used for a few years and then tossed to the side or converted into a microwave stand.  I wanted to craft a piece that could be used for many years as a dresser.  I wanted to know that the blood I would shed building it would be worth it (yes, there was a hint of blood shed).  After doing some research (Randy loves perusing Pottery Barn and I love Amish Furniture websites and the always-trusty Google Image searches) we decided on a plan and I sketched it up.  After the boss approved the plans, I went to work.

It's made of solid 3/4" Pine, 3/4" Birch Plywood for the top/sides/shelves and 1/4" Birch Plywood for the door panel and back.  I went with Pine/Birch ( as opposed to Oak, etc.) because it would be painted white.  I painted it with enamel latex paint (diluted with just the right amount of water) using my trusty Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun and then sealed with clear satin polycrylic which really adds a nice finish.  I was able to fully reap the benefits of spending a lot of time fine-tuning my painting techniques while building our entertainment center.  The painting process was a snap and was the easiest part of this build.  I then finished it off with self-closing euro hinges and full-extension drawer slides.  Randy found some "button" door knobs to cap everything off. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.


Face Frame
Test-Fitting the Drawers
Drawers All Installed
Just Installed the Drawer Faces
Ready for Paint
After 1 Coat of Primer, 2 Coats of Paint and 3 Coats of Clear
Making Sure Everything Still Functions
Drawers Still Fit and Operate Perfectly
Full-Extension Drawer Slides and Adjustable Shelves
Set-Up in Owen's Room
Lots and Lots of Space

Done!


Main Tools Used: My cheap Table Saw (I reallllllly want/need to get a better one), 10" Sliding Miter Saw, Router Table, Pocket-Hole Jig, Cordless and Corded Drill (life saver), Palm Sander, Belt Sander, Various Hand Planes, Hand Chisels, etc.

Owen better enjoy it!

3 comments:

Alec Lawrence said...

Looks good man. If there is something a newborn loves, its a changing table (for him to poop on!). That last comment was brought to you by Triumph the insult dog.

What did you use to make the peg holes for the shelves?

Jace said...

Very nice.

I very carefully measured each hole and used a homemade drill bit stop to drill each hole. However, it would be better to use a jig that is made for this purpose (or a homemade one - i.e. a peg board) or at the very least a drill press, but I don't have either. Instead it just took me a lot longer to make sure they were even, etc.

Erica said...

Looks awesome and what a treasure for you to say you built that! Too cool.

Post a Comment

/* Defaults